Ephesus, 1994

Ephesus, 1994
On this grand tour, a Singapore lady complained: "Why come here?... see stones only." You be the judge of how some Singaporeans let us down....

© 2014 A. Khaw: Foreword...


Edited 5 Nov. 2014: Five years from start (Oct 2009) to finish, this blog was designed to tell
all about the contrived demise of the Singapore Herald in 1971, beginning with
"A blot on Sir Harry's Escutcheon" -- a tale of "the oppressor's
wrong, the insolence of office," of deception and chicanery and Harry
Lee's lies -- indeed, lying hardly describes what he did; with apologies to
Shaw, let's say "he overdid it, he got carried away in an ecstasy of
mendacity!"
To a select group of friends, mainly journalists, who
have been invited to visit this blog, I am tempted to declare solemnly that this is not
a calculated effort to smear the image of a man held in high esteem by many... But no! I would rather leave it to
every reader to make up his or her own mind about how LKY’s failure to exercise
self-restraint has cost him dear!
Recently, his radio speeches on the Battle for Merger
were reprinted. However, having persuaded Singaporeans to vote for merger in
1963, he travelled north to advance a personal “Malaysian Malaysia” agenda. As
a result, the Tengku threw him and Singapore out of Malaysia. Can anyone now
recall what we did gain from being in Malaysia for 22 months? My own
recollection: Zilch!








Introduction: "Lore" as in folklore... from pensive ruminations on a trip down memory lane. Safire vs. Lee: "You tinpot tyrant!" It does have a certain ring to it. Mr LKY defended Harry Lee in his self-serving memoirs -- which reminded me of a stand-up comic's opening line: "My life is an open book, only I have a few pages stuck together." (Rapturous applause). So, I am musing on Singapore's past, present and future -- and Life's lessons on the human condition; no memoirs for me, thank you.

Incredible! LKY's oxymoron

Incredible! LKY's oxymoron
QUOTE: "The Singapore Herald has been taking the Government on since its publication in July last year" -- by Mr LKY (See posting: A rush of blood to the head & A blot on Sir Harry's Escutcheon).

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Just in case ...

Why, you may ask, am I blogging about the Singapore Herald? Isn't that water under the bridge?
Ever since the paper was forced to cease publication because its publishing licence was withdrawn, there have been unanswered questions. In this Editlore blog, I intend to fill in the blanks so that you may understand what was at stake.
I shall be writing personally to LKY to ask him whether he agrees with me that a grievous wrong was done to the Herald's employees and readers in particular and to Singaporeans in general. His daughter, Lee Wei Ling, has gone on record that she believes that righting a wrong is the proper thing to do. Can we hope that LKY can be persuaded to do the right thing? In my letter to him, I shall be giving him embarrassing details of what I have unearthed -- not for public consumption.

I toyed with the idea of writing a book entitled : "Lilies that Fester." However, it is common knowledge that books containing material critical of LKY can only be found on bookstore shelves outside Singapore.

There is one more compelling reason why I am going public with this version of the Herald story. I am mindful of what LKY has done to Francis Seow, Lim Chin Siong and many others. If any harm does come to me and mine as a result of these blogging disclosures, you will be able to put two and two together ...
NOTE: In my postings you may spot typographical or spelling mistakes. I shall go over the postings regularly to edit/correct such errors. This is all new to me. I still do not know what all the symbols in Blogger relate to. Please be patient...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers